In this week’s episode, the Creative Questers offer ten tips for writing dialogue that sparkles while avoiding common mistakes. Using these tips will help improve your storytelling skills and immerse your readers in your world.
Listen up, because there’s almost nothing (in our opinion) that can ruin a reading experience quicker than bad dialogue.
Here are the cliff notes version of the tips:
- Making it sound real instead of making it real.
- Read it out loud.
- Keep it short/balanced.
- Avoid small talk.
- Avoid info dumps.
- How to use dialogue tags.
- Using action beats and body language.
- Don’t rely on adverbs.
- Give your characters a quest.
- Don’t overuse characters’ names.